Friday, August 18, 2006

Spike's Requiem for New Orleans


Spike Lee says he hopes you will feel something after you watch his four-hour documentary about Hurricane Katrina, When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts on HBO next week. (Acts I and II debut Monday from 9-11 p.m.; Acts III and IV Tuesday same time).

"I hope people feel anger, rage...I hope people get inspired to do something to help," he says.

Now's a good time to link you to Been There Clearinghouse, a site and blog started by Cooper Munroe and Emily McKhan, a pair of Mommybloggers I met at the BlogHer conference in San Jose last month. Been There is an informal clearinghouse that assists victims of Hurricane Katrina through donations and fulfilling of requests. Shows you the power of blogging in action.

I spoke to Spike last week for a story I wrote about his documentary for Sunday's Inquirer. When I asked why he used the word "requiem" in part of the film's title, he replied, "It is a prayer for the dead, but I think there can be hope at the same time."

Are you going to watch this week? Let me know what you think.

I'm out of computer reach until 8/25. Me and the better half will be donning yellow slickers, riding the Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls.

Until then, holla!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the documentary and it was truly an eye opener. Some of the things I knew, but it was heartbreaking when people were going back months later to find bodies of relatives in their homes. I believe that part of this tragedy was due to the hurricane and part was man’s error. The government knew that the levees needed to be maintained and didn’t take care of the problem. Now that it’s too late, they are scrambling to do something. Someone has to pay for this. And, I don’t mean a slap on the wrist. Where is the help for these people?

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article, I'm hearing so much about the show, someone is taping it for me, looking forward to seeing it.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home